An official of the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Environment Unit known as Taskforce was said to have allegedly killed a yet-to-be-identified man in the Mile 2 area of Lagos.
A video being circulated on social media on Tuesday morning showed a bonfire suspected to have been set up on the expressway by youths in the area. This is even as the state police command said police officers have been deployed to the scene.
In the video, a man could be heard telling people to avoid the Mile 2 area, alleging that Task Force officials had killed a man. “Currently at mile 2. The task force has killed somebody. It’s a shutdown and it’s a no-go area. Please avoid Mile 2 area,” the voice was heard saying in the 18-second video.
The Chairman of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environmental and Special Offences Unit, Deputy Superintendent of Police, DSP, Sola Jejeloye also dissociated its agency from any involvement in the ongoing melee and shooting at Mile-2 area of the state on Tuesday morning.
The chairman, in a statement, through his Public Affairs Officer, Mr. Raheem Gbadeyanka, simply stated, “We have no hand in it, it is not Lagos state taskforce officers involved.”
Vanguard earlier reported that a distress call was received from a stranded passerby, Mr Richard Igbe who explained that there was a fight on top of the Mile 2-Oshodi bridge.
He said the fight had led to the blockage of the bridge denying people access to the road.
Although the actual cause of the fight has not been ascertained, at the time of the call, Igbe claimed that four persons were dead from gunshots.
According to him, “Mile 2 is on fire, both the task force, tanker drivers, and touts are fighting seriously. I don’t know what caused the fight but I am just hiding at Fatgbems Filling station at Mile 2 and watching.
“I am going to work but I am stranded as they barricade the whole of Mile 2 that nobody will pass”, he said.
However, state Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, while reacting to the video on X, said policemen had been deployed to the scene.”That claim cannot be confirmed yet. Information is still sketchy. However, I can confirm that police patrol teams have arrived at the scene. Obstacles are being cleared and free flow of traffic picking up again. Further updates to follow,” Hundeyin said on X Tuesday via @BenHundeyin.
Hundeyin also said the Commissioner of Police, CP Idowu Owohunwa, has arrived at the scene, adding “Investigation into the killing of a driver has commenced.”