At least 12 people have been killed following fresh Israeli air attacks on eastern and southern Lebanon, marking another violation of the 2024 ceasefire agreement with the armed group Hezbollah.
Lebanonโs state-run National News Agency (NNA) reported Friday that air raids on the Bekaa Valley killed at least six people and injured more than 25 others, who were taken to hospitals across the region. The agency later revised the toll upward, saying more than 10 people were confirmed dead and at least 30 wounded after a strike on a building in the town of Riyaq in the Bekaa governorate.
According to NNA, search and rescue operations are still underway at the scene as emergency teams comb through the rubble for survivors.
The Israel Defense Forces said the strikes targeted what it described as โHezbollah command centresโ in the Baalbek area of Bekaa. Meanwhile, a Hezbollah source told AFP that one of the groupโs military leaders was among those killed in the attack.
Earlier in the day, Lebanonโs Ministry of Public Health confirmed that at least two people were killed in a separate Israeli strike on the Ein el-Hilweh camp the countryโs largest Palestinian refugee camp located near the southern city of Sidon.